Monday, May 13, 2013

Recipe: Homemade Lip Balm

This recipe is a combination of a few that I found on the internet and tweaked to what worked for me. I've made it a few times and love it. You can use it on your lips and on dry skin. Just don't slather it on at the beach because your lips will burn, I learned my lesson the hard way.

I purchased a one pound block of local beeswax unpackaged from the Beekind stand in the Ferry Building. I use a cheese grater to make shavings because it's easier to melt. Almond oil was purchased in bulk from Rainbow Grocery. I bought the tin new at the Container Store but next time I think I'll try reusing a mint tin. 

Ingredients:

- 2 tbsp beeswax shavings
- 4 tbsp almond oil

Directions: Heat beeswax shavings and oil together in a glass jar inside a pot with an inch of water until melted then pour into a tin to set up. 


You can also try adding a bit of lipstick or mineral pigment for a tinted balm. I've tried this recipe with coconut oil as well and the ratio wasn't working, you have to use a lot more beeswax to oil so I just stick with almond oil.


{Homemade lip balm in a tin}

No comments:

Post a Comment